Monday, February 8, 2010

Munchys Outdoor Cook Out

After working far too much on my exhibition work we decided it was time to make a new play area for our daughter.  We had a square of dirt by the bathroom door, the dog sleeps there for shade and dirt blows into the bathroom, which is creating far too much sweeping which Im just not into.

I had been to the dump ( yes I love the dump) the week before and found a little oven and these cute french wire shelves and these large plastic bins with holes in them, so we brought the lot home for a kitchen for munchy, I get 4 weeks to do whatever I can with the junk I bring home, otherwise it  has to go back to the dump, its great motivation!
so anywho this is what we created....



We love a good build, now what do we need
nails and stuff...


my best friend the skill saw....


a magic helper fairy.....


a good keen man to dig the holes and mix up the concrete....


while me and munchy make the frames and paint them....


voila! it is done, these beautiful shelves are the ones from the dump...


What a beautiful Sunday....lets go to the beach and get some sand.......


Now where we live is a peninsula at the top of New Zealand and its rather skinny, so its 8 km from east to west coast, a five minute drive across, you can see the water on the other side in this photo, which is taken from the top of the hill in the photo above....
'click to enlarge'


 to go west to 90 Mile Beach you have to go through forestry, and the forestry is huge, the worst dirt roads, wild horses, wild native plants and wild driving.......


Its pretty quick but obviously boring for some.....


and extremely exciting for others!!!......


A huge beach, called 90 Mile Beach but actually 90kms  woops!..


I found some beautiful beach art made of summer treasures....


It looks so pretty sailing in the wind......


Time to go see how dads getting on....


Gathering sand for the kitchen.....


For my little miss sandy toes....


This is what 90 Mile looks like, wild, abandoned and deadly...to cars and humans.....

So we travel back with our sand in tow....


Through a magical forest haunted with hundreds of horses...

and fallen pine cones....


 back home...


I put down the weed mat with the help of Pipi....


and a few minutes later its done, how cool....


a perfect place for her new pots and pans...


so whats first on the menu??? ....


Mmmmmmmm muffins hehe


what a perfect oven to cook little sandy treats.....


what a wonderful Sunday project with so much fun to come, see the ducks down there waiting for their order!!.... she is going to have the busiest little cafe....
Speaking of food we better go munchy, theres a bbq going on over at Nanas house, what shall we make??..


watermelon, avocado and feta sticks drowned in sweet chilli sauce  mmmmmmmm


we are a huge meat eating country, mmmmm steaks sizzling on the bbq, can you smell that flame grill juicyness ( sorry to all vegeterians : )


and no meal is complete in our family feasts without a huge pot of peas.....


Well thankyou for reading my tale, im as busy as a bee and best get on with the framing of yet more little pictures


I hope this inspires you to create a little creative nook for a munchkin in your own life, and remember that the dump is your wonderland.  Does any one want me to do a post about my dump so they can see this wonderful place for themselves, lets see what treats you can spot in the photos, maybe I can go back and get them and create something for you.

have a happy and inspirational day today

sheree xxx

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant Sheree! My girls have a kit cubby their daddy put together, which doubles as 'The Mulberry Lane Cafe' (they have a little sign they can hang out when they're open for business!) Love your tip finds, I used to love doing that but you're not allowed to now here...incredible what some people will throw away, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post Sheree. I made a den for my son in the garden last year and we filled it with secret treasures, then he filled it with friends! When I saw the pic of your doggie's excitement I laughed out loud - he looks like he might just burst! Now, must get me some of those feta, avocado, melon stick things - look yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! My girls used to love 'cooking' in their cubby...what clever girls you are! We still have the cubby (the girls are teenagers now), but it still gets used for sleepovers and crafternoons! There are baskets of beads and feathers and such, needles and threads...those sand muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheree,

    Another magical post -- yeah! Oh yes, I surely would love to see photos of your dump. I am all for recycling stuff and giving it a new meaning and life. :)

    By the way, may I ask you which camera model you use? I so loved your photos again. My current camera isn't reliable anymore, so I definitely have to get a new one sooner or later.

    Happy creating,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastical photos! You do have the magic touch with your camera. It is so incredibly beautiful there...makes me want to visit. I adore the kitchen you made for your wee one, and how you go to the dump. I suppose hubby had to impose the four week rule, but it's a good one. Oh, the bee photo is stunning, and the pinecone is a another fave. So glad you and your camera are such good friend! Happy Monday, little one. **kisskiss** Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, what gorgeous pics!! Love em! And what a magical space you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an awesome life! So jealous of your beach and sunshine. Here in the UK it's freezing, rainy and miserable.

    BRING ON THE SUNSHINE!!

    (Found you via Creative Every Day) and wow, your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheree,

    Found you on CED and am so inspired! Your photos are gorgeous, your abundant creativity is energizing and your example of being, wife, mother, businesswoman, magicmaker is exemplary! I'm so glad I found you and look forward to many return visits!
    I hope you don't mind if I use the idea of utilizing old pages from a book to create my own art! I loved the words you chose to circle and can't wait to see what hidden messages lie in wait for me :)

    All my best,
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,

    Found you via CED. Loving the feast for the eyes here today.
    Wish there were dumps like yours over here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great cooking place for her. Love the watermelon treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful photos you take! It's making me want to go to New Zealand:)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment