Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Little Dash Of Christmas

Hello Lovelies!!
Never too early to put your tree is it???...not when you have a 2 year old!
and who is this little guy waiting for??


We decided the theme under our tree this year is 'Fairy Tea Party'... but we have no food!!! and as of yet..no guests!


My little 'Pohutukawa Fairy' looks ever so hungry and lonely, and he still has 40 something sleeps till the big day!  I went on the net and did some shopping, and I know you cant buy friends with money!! but for this little darling yes you can!  I went here to 'Woodlands Enchanted' and brought him four new friends to celebrate with.  They are the most beautiful fairies made of NZ sheeps wool, no made in china labels to be seen!


So while guests are being shipped in the mail, we can get on with collecting little lovely nature treats for a fairy Xmas Lunch!
I felt a bit naughty putting the tree up already but reasoned that the adverts have started on TV and soon the radio will be following so we had forgiven ourselves.....and then I went over to visit Miss V and saw she was in the spirit too!


She had made some Xmas trees from cotton balls (which you can see here) and so we got to work and made one for Nana.  Nana has the snowy ornaments at Christmas time, in our house we rage against the stereotypical so no snow inspired creatures to be seen....
making this tree was so fun and easy for little hands, I did the hot glue and she popped on the cotton balls...


This got me thinking about what kind of tree I should make then, if not a snowy one, and realised I should be making  Pohutukawa trees, Its our National Xmas Tree, not that we decorate it but just that it flowers at Xmas and you go to the beach to be with them.  They arent brought into the home, its illegal to cut them!!


So to any New Zealander this sight speaks Xmas and summer and bbqs and swimming and drinking and relaxing.. ahhhhhh Christmas...so lets get to work then...



Green Felt and thread ahoy!


I traced the top of the tree and cut out matching backs and fronts...


I want my trees to have real trunks form the actual Pohutukawa tree so off to the beach to collect twigs from our favorite tree..which you may remember from this tale...


Here are the blosssoms ready to burst!  ewwww...wait...wait........


Back home skippidy skip and I snap the twigs to look like trunks and glue to one side of the tree foliage..


I blanket stitch the sides and bottom and then stuff thru the top...


For added magic every tree has a leaf slipped inside it too, so that these are real trees!, like little parcels of the beach to hang at home...


Stitch all the way around and sew a string loop in the top so it can hang and there is the tree...but wait..now it needs summery red flowers...


Glitter bug alert, i dotted PVA glue over the top and covered with glitter and flicked the excess off...


and you are left with the most delicious little tree all ready to hang once it dries...I love the twig trunk, it brings the tree to life...


So we made a whole bunch and they are all ready to be packaged up and sent to our families so we can all be connected by a very special creation....


Now about that fairy food......


Hows your Christmas lists going my lovelies
tick tock tick tock its getting close
eeeekkkkk!!
I absolutely love presents, dont you??


xxx
Sheree

9 comments:

  1. WOW! My mouth is hanging open! These are just so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheree, thankyou for stopping by my little corner - your words made me smile. Your Christmas tree looks so colourful and happy, and I love your faerie tea party theme - the perfect thing for a gorgeous 2 year old...I miss Christmas with little ones...so magical. I love all the projects you have been showing lately - thanks for inspiring me...have a wonderful weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are beautiful! it's too early for me to decorate for yule. i always keep my fall decor out until thanksgiving and then the day after i put out my winter decorations. i saw the snow trees miss v made and can't wait to make some too. :) i hope when your fairies arrive to join the one under your tree you'll post a photo and show us their tea party!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so gorgeous!!!! I love your tree and the wee little faerie guests. I saw Vanessa's cotton ball tree post - I immediately thought "I can DO this!" And I will. :) Just finished up a swap and need to pop that in the mail. But this tree will come up soon. I also love your little NZ trees. Hurray for X-Mas! Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeal! Those trees are AMAZING! What a genius, beautiful idea and such a lovely, heart-felt gift.

    I can't believe you have your tree up already - but it does look lovely and the fairy tea party theme is so cute!

    We wait till 1 December to put our tree up. I'm enjoying the season of spring at the moment and the garden. I can't think about Christmas at all - but I am starting to get some pressies together for the relies and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Great ideas which gives me a head start for the season. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those trees are just lovely -- so just like you, Sheree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous trees and what a lovely blog you have!! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment