Friday, April 16, 2010

The Book Hunt

When I was little I loved maps! treasure maps leading to anything, it was all about the hunt, but there were no maps to follow!! sooo I would make my own riddles and maps and hide them in my books and wait at least a week to find them "wow what is this!!"
The hunt would be on and I would find the treasure!! Ohh Yay! isnt it wonderful that being a kid is so simple!
So that little bit of mystery seeker is still inside me and I love hunting for clues and being sent on wild goose chases, so here I am bringing my treasure hunting joy to you.

As mentioned in my last post I decided to create a little something for the people who love a bit of mystery.
I will be putting up a 'Book Hunt" every month and all correct entries will go into the draw for an original piece of Paper Moon art work.
So what is a book hunt?? Hopefully this appeals to book worms and people who frequent librabries.   I have chosen a book from my favorites pile and have written a list of riddles and clues to help you search thru and come to the next clue, you donot have to read the book at all, just skip around hunting out bits.  If done correctly you should come up with the right answer.
When you have solved the riddle leave a comment on this page but donot put your answer, I will email you and you can tell me the answer. this is so we can be sure you really found your way to the end!!
I really not sure if there is an easier way to do this!  Anyone!!
The first "Book Hunt" is quite simple, as a starter! but beware after this intro book hunt...because it will get harder.
I have tested this on a few people and no one knew what I was on about and where to start so I have put a clue in the first line in a red colour.
Good Luck!





Is that the phone ringing, is it a bird or is it a belle??
Ohh it is a belle.
Today is August 4th 1610, four paragraphs in there was a number.
I went to find Juliette with this number over her heart.
Where I heard of a birthday that brought a kind of awakening...
What birthday was that again??
I happened upon Perette with this number over her spade.
"I can smell flowers" from how far away?
I think thats the page number I should go to next.
Some supplies were brought for the sake of travelling theatres everywhere.
How many different supplies were there??
I went to Lemerle with this number over his spade.
There I heard of crows foot curse, placed on a woman by a child.
How old was that child again??
I went to Juliette with this number over my heart.
My mother abandoned me and left me in the care of a little group of caramelites when I was how old??
I skipped this many paragraphs ahead where our name was revealed.
I added the letter values together and the sum was this number.

1  2  3  4  5
a  b  c  d  e
f  g  h   i   j
k  l  m  n  o
p  q  r   s   t
 u  v  w  x  yz

on this page number was one of my mothers sayings
and this my sweets is your answer.


Thanks for playing, if you feel totally lost and would like help feel free to ask questions.
Happy Hunting


xxx
Sheree

7 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll play if I can find the book.
    You are so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooo! I'm going to find me a copy of that book and join in! Why have I not already got this one? I have all her other books...I'll be back for the clues tomorrowwwwwwww.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well - this sounds like a bunch of fun!!! I would love to play. Cannot grab a copy of the book until Monday so hopefully I will not be too late. I DO love a good puzzle!!! LOL And I am most competitive when it comes to games. :) xoxo Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I must get that book and try this too! I LOVE riddles and quests and mysteries. Did you ever read Kit Williams' book "Masquerade"? It had a mystery to be solved in it, and if you worked it out, it led to the place where he had buried a gold and bejewelled hare that he'd made. I used to pore over that book for hours! And I used to make fake maps and mysterious messages in code languages when I was young...I used to 'age' the paper with tea or paint, and then burn the edges to make it look authentically old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~i will be over to the library next to see if i can find this...i think my oldest will enjoy helping me along! a nice little twist to reading...now you are challenging our minds...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheree,

    As much as I would LOVE to play along, it will be too hard for me to get the right book(s) at the library (if they have it at all). Buying every book isn't an option either, but, hey, maybe I can participate once in a while.

    GREAT idea! :)

    Hugs,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for the book now.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment