Saturday, March 6, 2010

Paper Moon Story

I have been asked to explain the reason/story behind my Paper Moon Collection

Last year I was home alone and decided to do some painting with ink, somehow I ended up painting a girl, it was just on paper and I thought the paper was too plain.  I ripped a page out of an old book I had which was already defaced by me gluing poems into it, after I painted the picture I circled some words.
This is it here, as you can see I put a chin on the girl and she looks kinda witchy so the after about 3 pictures my girl was refined and designed and I was away.  In 3 hours I had done 5 painting...


The process I use is
I look at the heading on the page, close my eyes and I have always made a pact with myself to paint the first thing that comes to mind, no matter how crazy it is, and yes some are a little crazy!
I then paint the picture, sometimes I have to research things so i can draw a particular object as accurate as possible. I design the picture with gold pieces in mind.  When the picture is finished I fish thru the words for standout bits and pieces and then I make a sentence or statement.

I enjoy this process so much, its relaxing because its so small and its really just a bit of fun, after painting such intense subjects that need accuracy this is like a breath of fresh air.
SO all the pictures are my immediate thoughts, I find that people relate to them so well because most of the words I choose dont really say a defined sentence they are a bit quirky so are left open to peoples interpritation which also leaves them open to connect with peoples life experiences and thoughts and feelings.  Most people find something that speaks to their hearts.

The girls name is Moon, she has no age, people even ask what her job is??????  some are so keen to put her in a box but she cant be defined that easily.  She is just a girl on a big adventure and Im having fun making her get up to all this mischief.

It seems easier to go to dark places with her because of what she looks like, and also I did happy art for sooo long that there was some strange stuff trying to get out.
I was asked the other day why she is always painted backwards, she is not backwards, she just has no face.

The truth is I am crap at drawing humans but I seem to be able to draw everything else quite fine! So that is why she is a simple stick figure in a dress, a triangle non bendy dress haha.  I have to act out most of her scenes myself just to double check the way her body should be bent and where her arms should be angled, this makes it fun and personal, I have always said that she isnt me...but now Im wondering, hhmm maybe she is??

Peas for "gifts" because me and munchy call peas presents because you have to unwrap them to get the stuff inside..


"The start of an adventure" this is my daughters grow tree in our house, its a painting i did on the wall which we do her measurements on...
"a print of the heart" this is me! doing paper moon stuff....
"owning up" hehehe come on, it was asking for these words!...

"another columbus"  i love this one, columbus was an adventurer who discovered countries, life on a farm for a wife can sometimes get as exciting as mending the socks for the day.  ohh but what an adventure that can be eewwww

"The right time"  I sold this one before I had finished it, to my wonderful friend who lent me her shop for the exhibition, so this picture is not the complete one, she loved it but I had circled no words, I couldnt find any words and after days of pain the word 'there' popped out from the bottom line, so I circled it!  "There"  theres your bloody word!! happy!!! haha, she loves this one because of the story , you had to be there when I presented it to her.


As for the collection of things I did, well I studied at uni, screen printing and then fashion design to one day go into costume but then I worked  for years as a screen printer.. So I did screen printing for kids stuff because they are sooo cute, book binding because its simple and fun and the jars because I love 3D and making tiny strange collections of things, it was fun to see my Moon girl in real situations, its just such a pity that none of them can be posted to you!  I also did the 3D books, theres are so fun and simple im going to put a tutorial up for the next one I do.








Here is the newspaper article about my exhibition.  I love it.


So I hope this helps everyone understand things a little better, I never realised I was being so vague, just here it is, think what you want!!

Thankyou Mon Bv for the insight!!!

sheree xxx

Two posts in one day! some body stop me!!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Sheree. This was a lovely post. I was very interested in reading the concepts behind this series of paintings. I love the one so much that you sold to your friend, as well as the Start of an Adventure. All of them, though, are great! And congrats on that wonderful newspaper article. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so glad I found you during OWOH...your art is fantastic. Loved reading about your ideas and how comes and why fors. I must say though...the shell creation is a bit disturbing. I keep looking at it again and again, like my mind is trying to gasp/grasp what it is. Hmmm! I guess that makes it perfect art. :)
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on your exhibition and article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Sheree...I really enjoyed reading about your inspiration. I think I am so drawn to your art because of it's fairytale-like quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! Moon is so dreamy and beautiful... when i see your little paintings with moon i feel like i'm dreaming, like i'm child again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you Sheree! I've been so busy I just haven't had the time to make it to all my dear bloggy friend's blogs on time...and this was such a neat surprise! Well done on your first exhibition! Congrats for the sales too! Never enough, of course, to pay for all that hard work you did over 6 months...isn't that always the way. But yours has been a labour of love too. I just love Moon and her amazing, gorgeous adventures. I'm waiting for the book now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~your work is non like any other i have seen..such magic lies within those pages you created....each pieces is uniquely gorgeous and the stories behind them...beautiful...well wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find your art so intriguing; I look forward to seeing what Moon is doing. A mystery and an adventure all rolled into one. Knowing how she came to be and a little about your process adds to the delight. I'm off to check out the pieces on etsy. Congrats on a successful show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just wonderful, love your art work on these old book pages. Smiles, Carol Mae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheree,

    Have you already seen that you won a giveaway at Shona's blog? Congrats! :)

    Hugs,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had wondered why the Exhibit was called Paper Moon....now I do! You already know how I feel about your work (at least I hope you do :-D). I'm a huge fan! Loved hearing about your educational and work background and how that is used in your creations today.

    ...And the newspaper article! Wonderful!!

    Sometimes a little darkness is necessary to explore....that's where the secret treasures like to hide :)

    All my Best,
    Cameron
    Paintmyselfpretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always interesting hearing the story behind 'a creating', and you tell it so interestingly. It seems to me that Moon is every curious child that ever was, and no explaining was necessary, but there, that's just me! I love her and the things which surround her as well as the words.
    The newspaper article is really nice, very upbeat. It would seem that your exhibition went well, and I'm so very glad for you as its a pretty big undertaking!
    Well done to yourself!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment