Saturday, October 30, 2010

The MacGyver Approach To Crackers

Last post I told you I was on a mission to make my own crackers, and what success Ive had!!
They are very yummy for a first try so Im hoping to get far more experimental with practice.


and what is this thing I hear you ask??? Well its my latest invention.  The recipie tells how you have to prick the entire surface of the cracker to keep them flat.  I dont have all day so I made this multi pricker....


from cardboard, double sided tape and tacks, it made the job much faster...


it also said to use a brush to brush all the crackers with oil before salting, but being smart I used a new sponge from my art room, one dab and it was all done....


the finished results were very yummy but a bit odd.  I now know how to make Pita Pockets!
So if you dont prick the surface enough (just breeze over it..woops!) you end up with puffing, still yummy but hard to balance toppings on! (you could put topping in though!!)
Lesson learned, 'Donot skim on pricking'
Ohh Yummmeeeee....
Now I had to rush.. I had to go pick Munchy up from grandmas....


and Im walking today!!
 but it is beautiful,
I love it when its finally spring and the drive way dries up and turns to soft sand instead of mud, no more gumboots! woo hoo.
I have a beautiful walk down.....


see some friends along the way....Hi friends!... yummy friends hehe!!!...


ohh the lovely drive way, its quite legendary for being one of the most hideous drives around, keeps our visitors elite, only the brave arrive for a tea!...


after picking little miss up we walk next door to grandads work, uncle Troy is fixing up this rather strange battered go cart from the dump ( yes we all shop at the dump round here)
My little tinker fairy just cant help herself, she is in there with her tools fixing it up...


Home for the last game of Peek A Boo with some puppies before they are shipped to their new homes... quite sad really, this one Jem was my favorite, she loved to play dollies xxx


BOO!


and then to settle down with some crackers to eat...


I get more excited about food every day!


Raven Moon Magic Crackers

2 cups Flour ( I used 1c spelt and 1c wholemeal)
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4cup butter
1/2cup milk
1 large egg
poppy seeds or sesame seeds etc

sift dry ingredients and knead in butter
add milk and egg and seeds to make a dough
add more flour if too sticky
roll out thin and cut,
poke holes all over to stay flat when cooking!!
dab with oil and sprinkle salt over tops
Bake for 10mins @ 220'c  or 400'f

store in a very airtight container
YUM YUM!



Well I hope some of you feel inspired to make these, so easy and cheap, I ended up with 82 crackers, over two box fulls if they were brought.

and I have to end this post with my Xmas wish list seeing as its November in a few days.
November!! Time to start dropping hints...ehhheemmm..

I want these two books so bad.
I feel if I get the green one (which I have just looked thru at my brother house) my stomach will be fulfilled in every way, it has everything and is amazing.  All such basic ingredients which Im so happy about too, and lots of new skills to learn.  It is a very fat book indeed!


and I had a wonderful blogger comment on my last post and told me where I had heard about living like your Nana from, and its this lady who is a New Zealander!  ohh joy!
so yes please santa, Im in need of this one too!! 
please pretty please with a cherry on top!


Whats on your xmas list this year??? 
if your partner is the proof reader/editor of your blog posts (like mine) then here is the perfect place to project wishes from!
I like it!

Happy Halloween to all this weekend, Nothing much going on here but a whole lot of horror movies on TV...yikes!  I think I'll retreat to my lady cave and sew  : )


xxx
Sheree


10 comments:

  1. Those crackers look delicious, Sheree!! I love the speckled lovliness of tasty seeds and a variety of flours :)....and leave it to you to "invent" ways to craft up your cooking...heehee!

    What sweet puppies! I think children and puppies are such a magical combination...all licks and laughter :)

    Have a wonderful weekend, my Friend! I'll be talking to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, those crackers look great, I can almost smell them! What happens if you skip the baking powder, that probably makes them rise...but then they might end up like bits of cardboard! I love your driveway, I want one like that...I HATE with a passion continuous kerbing, I want to live off a gravel road. On my Christmas list is a guitar and a pair of Fairysteps shoes, but I don't think our finances will run to those...so books are always good! Glad to hear you sounding so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post today. It is filled with all sorts of excitment from the crackers (very clever tools) to your sweet baby to the cookbooks. I think I'll put those on my list too and thanks so much for the cracker recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cracket recipe and definately will give a try at making them... I have been also wanting to whip up some sort of doggy biscuit for our lab pup seeing that he is such a spoiled thing.

    He loves meringues and I have managed to create a beef flavored meringue for him.. cant believe I am doing that... Love the first cookbook you mentioned... its is wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. your cracker poking device is BRILLIANT!
    (I'm not surprised ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to try those crackers, Sheree, they look fantastic! Little Miss is so adorable! Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Halloween!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crackers! They look fantastic, Sheree! You did a wonderful job and thank you so much for posting the recipe. I've never tried to make them, but I know my hubby would love them. I'm going to give them a go. It is cool to be excited about food. Speaking of which, I hope your project is moving forth. I need to email you about it quite soon, in fact. :) Have a wonderful day, dear friend! xoxo Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. GENIAL!!!

    You are a genius.

    Make that little pricker thing in a metal or plastic mold and copyright it, pronto :)

    YOU ROCK!

    If only you were my neighbor... I could taste your crackers and not have to make mine own ;)

    Love, V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellеnt beat ! I wish to аppгеntice
    while you amenԁ yοur ωeb sіte,
    hоω could і subscгіbe
    for a blοg wеbѕitе?
    The account helреԁ me а aссеptable deаl.
    Ι hаԁ been a little bit acquainted of this your broаdcaѕt provided bright clear conceрt
    my web site :: V2 Cigs review

    ReplyDelete
  10. magnificent points altogether, you simply won a brand new reader.
    What would you recommend about your put
    up that you just made some days in the past?
    Any positive?

    Review my blog :: How To Remove Static From Clothes
    Look into my webpage - Anti Static Brush

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment