Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Harvest Moon Goddess

This is a story about sweetness, the absolute sweetness that comes from the sweet treats of nature.  Gifts to the world that come in cycles with the moons....


She was a collector of such sweetness, filling her skirt every day with the little treasures that the birds flying over in the skies compete for...


Nestling in the trees, whispering thankyou's is what she enjoyed most about Autumn days... 


Always so greatful for what was offererd and allowed for the taking...figs...


 She travelled her way thru the fields to get back to her beloved kitchen...


Her homely wonderland where all her gathering really turned into magic thru the art of love..


She lovingly prepared her chosen fruits, splitting, peeling, slicing and all the time thinking of how her friends the fruit trees have provided something so delicious and ask for nothing in return, just unconditional giving to humans and wildlife alike...


She collected bloved spices, broke and crushed them together with the power of earthly stone to release the warm scents of exotic lands and hot sands...


Together these boiled with the fruits and yet more sugar goodness.  The smells were magical, the ritual a joy.  The fruits boiled and became one with the spice of ten thousand years of traders...


After a small eternity, she put spiced fruits into jars of pure glass....


Whispered a loving life spell into each jar of goodness and sealing them up tightly...


While they cooled she took her Indian wooden stamps and decorated fabric in the spirit of beauty...


Took her grandmothers pinking shears and siccors and cut fabric hats for the jars...


Using her water colours she painted sweet labels...


And dedicated each jar of preserve to its ruling goddess....


Finishing with beautifully made stamps...


 Fig Jam for Goddess Juno, protector of all women and womenly things..


Green Love Apple (Tomato) Chutneys....


and peaches for Venus, goddess of spicy love....


She finished off all the jars of other preserves with all the love a girl can give ....


matching all her hard work to that of natures hard work...


and her buzzing friends too.  What a wonderful group effort that had taken place...


It was time to pass the love on to others...to keep the gifting cycle going...in a hope that what goes around comes around and would somehow become a never ending task...just like the moon. x


I do hope you are making the most of your Autumn Harvest, there seems to be more fruit than ever, And we must not forget in our story all those on the other side of the seasons who are about to welcome Spring.... I hope you see the new scented blossoms as the divine stage of gifts to come...will you be regifting them along??


 Natures Treats For Everyone

(pssst, this is my happy fork, its a cutie x)
Nothing like Madeira Cake with whipped cream and Peaceful Passionfruit Sauce
Ohhh just as good as gifting your treats is eating them yourself! eek gobble gobble


I hope you are all having something yum for dinner,
 I have had the whole day to myself and it has been wonderful, I could have crammed in 1000 things but chose to just do a few and have a cruisy nice quiet filled day.  I do miss my wild child by now though, only an hour and she will be home from a fun filled day with grandma, with plenty of crazy stories to tell.
She wouldnt go to sleep last night because her imaginary dog Toto had just died, what do you do?? umm, I tried to explain death a bit more and that its ok because when something dies something is born, it was just handy that her friend had recieved a new baby brother yesterday, so he solved the problem and she lay there, happy thinking her dead dog is now Lilla's new baby brother??? hmmm not really what I meant but we will roll with that my sweet, in the end she went straight to sleep!

Fresh fish for dinner here, Im off for a long walk on the farm before its full on again.
thanks for reading


PS. Seeing as I cant send any of you my sweet treats, i will do a draw of all the comments and send out hand painted labels which you can write on when you make your own Autumn preserves.
and lets choose two lucky people!, Im feeling a little bit crazy woo hoo!! xxx

7 comments:

  1. Your Autumn Harvest looks divine! I love the labels and the fabric you printed! All gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! The finished jars are magical looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all my years of preserving nature's bounty, I never got around to creating such fancy labels and cloth caps. I did make lots of cloth caps for all the goodies I gave away, just pretty pieces of fabric with pretty ribbons. Your labels are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the little taggy I gave you adorns that gorgeous basket of kindness! It gave me a jolt of connection and then a rush of warmth from a friend I wish I could reach out and hug...

    I could look at pictures of your orchards, your land, your endeavors, all day long....you do know just how to make every task reflect a bit of magic :)

    Thinking of you fondly,
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a magical post, Sheree. I love taking nature's harvest and making special treats - apple butter, zucchini breads, tomato sauce and salsa (well, the hubby actually does that one). Autumn is my favorite time of year. I cannot wait for it - as it's when I truly feel alive. Thanks for sharing such a lovely day and for sharing your beautiful preserving labels with two lucky folk. We did a lovely dinner tonight - pasta with zucchini, asparagus and green beans with a basil-tarragon-parsley pesto. Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your story and photographs. I am working with the energy of the Harvest Moon Goddess used google to learn more about this energy and your delightful post came up.
    Blessings
    Dawn (Heartsong Creations)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment