Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fairy Headbands Tutorial and School Fair Ideas

Here is how to make the beautiful kids head bands that you saw in my OWOH drawing.  These you will see were first made for a school fair I helped with.  They make alot of money and require little costs so a really good idea to have everyone looking festive.


What you need is thin stretch cotton which is so cheap, the way we are going to cut it is so the stretch goes down the strip, you want you head band to stretch


each length should be 2'' or 5cm wide, its ok if its bigger but too thin and you head band will be too tiny to hold flowers


and the length is about 35''or 90cm long, again it dosent matter too much with extremely fine details.  Each head band will need 3 strips, you will be doing a standard plait, so spend a whole night cutting and layer the fabric on top of each other so one cut cuts about 4 layers, way faster and the thin fabric allows for it


tie a loose knot leaving enough to grasp, I clip mine to a clip board when doing mass plaiting, and all you do is plait, 


I used to try to turn in the edges but in the end you dont really notice the difference, so just plait, firmly but loosely too, we are putting flowers in the plaits.  I also made some with 3 colours instead of one and they came out kinds 'Olivia Newton John', it wasent the best look!



re plait the tied end so they are relatively the same end bits.  this is where you can change it up because it will depend on the size of head, so for bigger kids or adults have a longer plait, and for little kids have longer tails and smaller plait


tieing the ends is done seperately, donot tie one knot, it is bulky and ugly, just find partners and tie in double knots, you end up with a puff ball of tassels which looks way cuter


Voila! now for flowers


best done by an adult and when not already on heads


weave flowers into the the plait, here you can get creative and do a side bunch, and also side bunch with tassels underneath, or you can make it a wreath and put flowers all around the front and back  Do you like the spider bindi!


sturdy flowers are best, there are some that wilt too fast and dont look so good, so find long lasting ones


and they are super comfy so the kids wear them all day.  If doing these for a fair do some boys colour, we had green and red, the boys got these minus the flowers and spent the day being ninjas, the different colours meant they had different teams (not using the word gangs here!! haha), the boys loved them and there was one boy who I saw every day at the bus stop for the next few weeks with his head band still on! success, thats the great thing about these, you can re use them over and over once you have one, a very lasting purchase, and nooooo!!! plastic!!!!


Here is the school gala I did, as well as plaiting 100s of head bands at night, what you need to do is get your flowers.  I glued plastic cups into tray boxes and the day before the gala went for a drive around my community to peoples houses asking for flowers, we had sooo many, and there are plenty of roadside ones too.  Just fill the cups with water, and put the flowers straight in, that way they last and are all ready for the next day


We sold our headbands for $2nz each, the kids pick a head band and the flowers they like and we would put them together, these photos, (so old scholl, no digital then!) were taken before the gala got going, hence I have no photos of afterwards or during the gala, it was insane!!!  insanely busy


We used my gypsy tent, just a gazebo with sari walls that are velcroed on, we did face painting inside, fairy head bands out front and also sold fairy food to eat at our fairy cafe, where Im sitting at the front


this setting is sooo easy to make, just need a pretty sign painted on a slice of wood


and the table and chairs is made from stumps, one has a circle of ply wood as the table


and little round cushions to go on the stumps, where are the stump chairs you say??? well um we burnt them in the fire last winter when we ran out of wood! eek  haha its ok, we can make more in a jiffy!


Another wonderful idea was the wishing tree, it was a wattle tree which I stripped all the leaves off but the dainty ends, its in a bucket of stones to stand up and it has a basket of pretty cut ribbons sitting at its base,  all you had to do was take a ribbon and tie it to the tree, the sign was made from cut ply wood and was tied to the tree


wishes were free and very popular, especially with adults!!  Although I do remember a little girl coming up to me at the end of the day and saying  "Sheree, If I wished on the tree does that mean it will come true?"  in my absolute tiredness I asured her that yes it would, Kelly growled me when we got home because what if her wish was for her dead father to come back from heaven and I had just told her I was happening for sure!! so learn your lessons from me, and always answer "we will have to wait and see!!""  Afterwards I burnt the tree and really set those wishes free!  Hopefully hers was for a barbie and it came true!


So there are some ideas for your next school fair, its all very simple stuff and I find we had the right elements for everyone,
*a touch of free with the tree*
*creativity with the headbands*
*pampering feeling with the face painting*
*and yummy sugary goodness with the food*

Have fun with these ideas, does anyone want a more in depth tutorial on the gypsy tent, it is a huge asset to have, mine has done so many parties and is borrowed alot by others and then there is just magical daily life and camping, its very nice to have a magic tent.

So I thought I would do a give away pack of 3 headbands, so I will choose from comments a lucky winner


Next week I will announce the winner of these as well as the winners of the preserving labels from my "HARVEST MOON GODDESS" story


Its Saturday here and Im so glad to have Kel home so I can blog un interrupted for the morning, and even have time to visit a few too, its a beautiful day, a beautiful wet Autumn day that is.

Hope your weekends are going well

much love and creativity

xxx
Sheree

7 comments:

  1. Isn't your daughter so beautiful! She shines in all the photos...great ideas for the headbands!I will have to make one for my grandaughter!Your blog is always a wake up to my senses...wish I could try those jams...who would not want to try something labeled in such a wonderful way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOO all over this, like sparkles on auras; fairy-goodness galore at next school gala, hells yes! Many thanx and creative karma coming back on your beautious head of gold magical lady you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hello there! It seems that I missed much, too. I LOVE your new blog header, Sheree. It's wonderful. Thank you for sharing the tutorial on the headbands. They do look so fun. Thanks for sharing the school faire. I ADORE the signs you made up. Wishing trees are so much fun!!! I am pretty positive I put my name in for your beautiful harvest moon labels. I plan on doing much preserving this year. Homemade treats also make wonderful gifts. I shall keep my fingers crossed. Have a beautiful weekend! xoxo Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a lengthy comment written, only to have it consumed in cyberspace. E-gremlins make me growl. But your post, now it is a delight! Chock full of magick. I would have spent all my time at your booth, in that fabulous gypsy tent...watching the saris float about in the breeze. Yes, the gypsy tent has won my boho heart. So, if you're up for writing the tutorial (I know they take alot of work) you will certainly have me as an appreciative reader.

    And the headbands are lovely. Flexible lasting crafts like that are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, LOVE it Sheree! So many fantastic ideas. I'm in awe of your ability to realise your fabulous ideas...I think of ideas, but so many of them remain in my head...I'm going to use you as my inspiration and take a leaf out of your book and DO it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The time and effort you put into things like this look more like effortlessness :)

    You turned Dreams into reality for lots of children....and helped some adults find the kid in themselves...you are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was worth is weight just to see the incredible shots of your daughter's bright sparkly face! What a beautiful way to spend your day. The signs are terrific..great color. The idea to collect flowers...brilliant!
    Well done you! loads of love, june

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment